Sunday, May 19, 2013

March 21

March 21, 2013
My week in South Carolina for fieldwork was not what I expected. Without going into too much detail, Lindsey and I were both a little disapointed by our experience. We were so excited to go to this site and had our sights set high that it would be an amazing learning opportunity. We were let down greatly, but we did learn about how we would like to change the mental health field if we were ever to go into it.
Lindsey. I will never be able to say too many nice things about this girl. We hadn't really spent that much time together before this trip, so we both didn't really know what to expect Sunday night as we were making the 2 hour trip together. We quickly bonded over our mutual disdain for the unkempt apartment, the squeaky beds, (the lack of sleep we were getting because of them), and our ideas about life in general. As the week passed, and I learned more and more about her, the more and more I really liked her. She is seriously one of the most open and honest people I know. She is kind-hearted and tender-souled. She is funny, has an amazing work ethic, and doesn't let anything stop her.
On Thursday, the OT at the hospital we were at does this thing called "breakfast club" where the patients work together and make their own breakfast. It's pretty awesome. Definitely one of the highlights of the week. After breakfast was made, and we were all at our spots sitting around the table, the OT asked everyone to say something they were thankful for. Lindsey was one of the last ones to go. Her response took me by surprise. She commented on how thankful she was that she was able to spend the week with me. She said how she started off the week a little nervous because she didn't know what to expect, but she was so glad for the way it turned out. She was grateful I made all those freezer meals so that we never had to eat out while we were there. She said sweet thing after sweet thing. After her turn was over, one of the patients I was sitting by leaned over and said, "That was so nice. That was so nice." He was right; that was so nice.
I honestly probably would have been miserable that whole week in South Carolina if it hadn't been for my dear friend Lindsey. We definitely kept each other sane. I am so grateful I was able to get to know her better! Nothing like a dirty apartment and a bad fieldwork to bring you closer together. 


Courtney

 

No comments:

Post a Comment