Friday, June 29, 2012

Recipe of the Week: Fettuccine Alfredo

I love pasta. Like a lot. I could eat it all the time. Five of my go-to dishes that I can make right off the top of the head with no recipe (because I make them so much and have memorized the recipe due to sheer routine) have something to do with pasta. It's just so easy and usually pretty fast. Last night I made one of these staple pasta dinners.

Fettuccine Alfredo


what you need:
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
6 egg yolks 
black pepper to taste

what you do:
1. Start your noodles boiling. (You obviously don't have to only use fettuccine. There have been several nights that I've made this and haven't had any fettuccine. Use whatever you have.)
2. Heat milk and cream in a heavy bottom saucepan until it begins to simmer. (Heavy cream is a staple in my house. I use it for everything - not the healthiest but so delicious.)
3. Place egg yolks in a separate bowl and slowly whip in a portion of the hot milk and cream mixture.
I don't have an egg separator. Not for lack of wanting one though. I've been half-heartedly looking for one for a while but haven't found one as of yet. So in the mean time, I separate my egg using the old school method of utilizing the egg shell.
4. Ok, back to the milk/cream mixture...Slowly whip in cheese, then remove from heat.
I use fresh Parmesan cheese. I tried it once with the already grated kind you can just buy in the pasta aisle at the grocery store. I thought it was good until the next time I used fresh Parmesan. So.Much.Better. The Parmesan is on the left. I use Pecorino Romano as the other cheese. I usually already have it in the house, because I use it for the baked ziti that I frequently make. You can get it at a really good price at Costco, but you get a lot (imagine that, getting a lot of something at Costco). So if you can use it before it expires then I'd suggest buying it at Costco. It lasts a lot longer than cheddar or mozzarella or other "sandwich" cheeses. But you can always get it at a normal grocery store in the deli section.
Melting all the cheese and stirring it all into the milk/cream mixture is the hardest part. Just be patient with it and stir frequently.
5. Slowly add egg yolk mixture into milk/cream/cheese mixture.
6. Place back on low heat and continually stir until simmering.
7. Take sauce off heat so it thickens and so that the eggs temper.
8. Season with pepper.

Honestly, this sauce is better the next day after it's had so time to sit in the refrigerator for a while. What I try to do is make it the night before and chill it until dinner the next night. Just throw it in the microwave or back in a saucepan and heat until warm. This doesn't always happen though. It'll still taste delicious right after you make it.

You can also grill up some chicken, slice it, and add it to your sauce. 

Here's what our dinner looked like last night:
The bread is also a staple at dinner here in the Andersen household. Just butter a slice of bread, sprinkle it with garlic powder, and throw it in the oven on broil for about 30 seconds (just until it starts browning). Also if you want to be super fancy you could add some shredded cheese on top.

Happy eating,

Courtney

Alfredo Sauce

1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
1/2 cup Romano cheese, grated
6 egg yolks
black pepper to taste

1. Heat milk and cream in a heavy bottom saucepan until it begins to simmer.
2. Place egg yolks in a separate bowl and slowly whip in a portion of the hot milk and cream mixture.
3. Slowly whip in cheese to the milk/cream mixture, then remove from heat.
4. Slowly add egg yolk mixture into milk/cream mixture.
5. Place back on low heat and continually stir until simmering.
6. Take sauce off heat so it thickens. (This will increase the temperature of the egg yolks, known as tempering.)
7. Season with black pepper. Serve over your favorite pasta.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment