Tuesday, March 6, 2012


A little over a month ago I wrote about my decision to finally apply to grad school. I was hopeful I'd get an interview, but let's be honest I submitted my application 15 days before the deadline. When the news came that I was in fact invited for an interview I was beyond excited. Brad spent the next week interviewing me constantly, preparing me for what was to come. He had interviewed at this school before (granted it was for a different program), so we both trusted he knew what he was talking about. I had perfect answers for questions like:
"What are your strengths and weakness?"
"Why did you choose our school?"
"What will you do if you don't get in?"
"Tell us about your volunteer experiences."
"How would you explain OT to someone who doesn't know what it is?"

Let me tell you, they didn't ask one single question I had prepared for (and it was a 30 minute event). Instead I was asked these kinds of questions:
"Tell me about a time when you were responsible for a conflict and how you solved it." 
"Tell me about a time when you solved a problem." 
"If you had a blank check and you could spend it on whatever charitable problem how would you use it?" 
"Tell me about a research project or paper either inside or outside of school that was important to you."
Luckily I am quick on my feet and was able to think of somewhat satisfactory answers to all their questions (I know I got a little help from on high as well). I also came prepared with several questions to ask my interviewers, which I'm sure added a little plus by my name. I left the school that morning having mixed feelings about the interview.

The first thing we did that day was participate in a group activity. I made sure that I was the spokesperson for my small group, and I was constantly talking (making sure the teachers and other important people in the room knew who I was). We were then able to meet with first year students and ask them questions. I, once again, talked the whole time. If I ran out of questions I just kept talking until I thought of another one. I wasn't sure how much input these students had, but I knew the interviewers would probably ask them about their impressions when everything was said and done, and I wanted them to remember me out of the whole group. BUT that personal interview I felt killed my chances. It wasn't awful. It just wasn't as perfect as I'd expected. The students who were interviewed last year said they got all the questions I had prepared for. They were shocked to find out what the questions were this year. Which made me assume that that was the point. The interviewers wanted me to be caught off guard. They wanted to see what I would do and how I would answer questions I most likely wasn't prepared for.

128 applied, 100 were interviewed, and only 44 seats were available. Since I submitted my application so late in the game I was the second to last group to interview, which meant the school had already filled almost all their seats. The committee said their final decisions would be made a few weeks later. I constantly checked my application status online, and nothing ever changed. Almost a month went by, which I took as a bad sign. Then last Wednesday my application status was changed to: "Decision made by Admission Committee; notification by mail." Everyday Killer and I walked down to the mailbox and everyday we walked back home empty handed. The letter (good or bad) was taking so long to get here. Once again, I took that as a bad sign. The weekend came and went and still no letter. Brad's dental school acceptance letter came by certified mail, so everyday that I didn't hear a knock on the door was another day I thought my chances of getting in were lessening. I'll be completely honest, I was expecting rejection and hoping [and praying] for acceptance. Throughout the whole process I tried desperately not to get my hopes up, because I knew what my chances were (only 44 seats and most had been filled).

Monday after picking Brad up from work we once again made our way to the mailbox. Among the ads, bills, and Netflix red envelope I saw the GHSU blue logo. I braced myself and fumbled through the papers. I finally pulled it out, hands shaking, unimportant papers falling to the ground. It was a big envelope. That had to be good. I quickly closed the mailbox and ran to car holding up the envelope for Brad to see. I got in, closed the car door, and opened the letter. There were lots of papers in the envelope (surely they wouldn't need 6 sheets of paper to reject me!). And there on the first line was my fate. Husband and dog sitting beside me supporting me good news or bad.
"Dear Courtney, 
Congratulations! We are happy to welcome you to Georgia Health Sciences University. This letter is your official acceptance to the Master of Health Science in Occupational Therapy program,...blah, blah, blah..."
I didn't even read the rest. I had been accepted!!
Click to enlarge.

I am beyond excited. I seriously am still in awe. I really and truly believed I would not get in this year. I had great grades and a great GRE score, but I had applied so late. I didn't think I had a great interview. I was worried I wasn't impressive enough. And you know what, all those doubts might be true. But by divine intervention I got in! Brad and I prayed that whatever needed to happen would happen. Over the past three years of trying to get into dental school we've come to learn and trust that the Lord does indeed have a plan for us. And if what we want right now isn't what's best for us on the long road then we won't be getting what we want [right now]. This acceptance is such a blessing in some many ways. 
* I'll be able to be doing what I want; having a job that I won't consider work.
* I'll be able to work the last 2 years Brad is in school. Which will allow us to start paying off student loans and have insurance through my job and not through the school. And we'll be able to pay for a car that we probably will have been needing for the past 2 years while we were both in school.
* When we do decide to start a family I'll be able to have a job with flexibility, which will allow me to keep working if I so choose.
* And many many more...

We've loved Atlanta (ok...so that might not be as heartfelt as it should be), but we're ready to move on. We're ready to get no sleep and spend hours upon hours in the cadaver lab just to learn the muscles in the face and live on sugar and soda. We're ready. (I say that now, but ask us this time next year and see what we say...haha.)

Many of you have asked about our plans now. They remain unplanned. We should know within the next month more finalized details - like when we'll be moving. We'll be sure to update everyone, so stay tuned.


P.S. I have not forgotten about my wonderful husband's birthday, which was over a week ago. I will be posting about it very soon.


  1. Congrats!!! How exciting! Going back to school is the best. Good luck with all the planning!

  2. That's so fantastic! Congrats! You'll do great at grad school. How fun!

  3. Congratulations! That's fantastic!

  4. Congrats you guys! That is seriously so awesome... Spencer and I are super excited for the both of you.