Saturday, July 23, 2011

Cruise: Day 5

Day 5
St. Kitts

Day 5 was my day to surprise Brad. He had been saying for weeks, months even, that we really needed to go kayaking. Well when it came time for the cruise planning we still hadn't gone, so I thought "What better place to go than St. Kitts?" This was the only excursion we booked through the cruise ship, simply because I couldn't find a better deal online.
Brad had also been saying the whole cruise that he wanted to get up early and watch the sunrise, but when the alarm finally went off before 6am on day 5 he suddenly changed his mind. Well, I made him get up anyways because it was his idea after all. He watched the sunrise for about 3 minutes before he was falling asleep standing up. So he went back to bed and left me to watch the rest by myself. This meant that I was in charge of the camera, and the result of this was 33 pictures of the exact same thing. (I just counted, I really did take 33 pictures of the sunrise.) Brad just laughed when he saw the preposterous amount. I won't bore you with all 33, but here are a few of my favorites.



We arrived in St. Kitts and had plenty of time to go window shopping and listen to their local radio station play Justin Bieber (yes, the radio really was playing Bieber). We then met up with our group and hopped on a bus and headed to the drop off point. On the way we stopped here:
Atlantic Ocean on the left and Caribbean Sea on the right. It was actually really neat. You could totally tell the difference between the two bodies of water.

When we got to the kayaks our guides said we could have some time to go snorkeling first if we wanted. We, of course, wanted. Two of the guides asked if we were good swimmers, and when we said yes they told us to follow them. We swam out about a mile to a ship that had wrecked during Hurricane Hugo in 1989. I had never seen a ship wreck before, so it was pretty exciting.





After we swam the mile back to shore we got a crash course in kayaking and headed off. I had never been kayaking before, and it was A LOT harder than I expected. Brad said it was because the current and the wind were pushing us in the opposite direction than we needed to go. We had a ton of fun, and I now want to try river kayaking.



When we got to the stopping point on the beach, we had fresh islands fruits and fruit juices. I thought BYU had good passion fruit guava juice, but St. Kitts definitely wins.

Love, Brad & Courtney


No comments:

Post a Comment